The way forward for Reanna Perkins was mapped six months earlier than the softball season started. She undertook to play for St. Bonaventure in September and got here after a season that the majority gamers longed for. Nonetheless, it was not sufficient.
Perkins needed to be a greater hitter, as a result of she knew there was room for enchancment regardless that she hit 0.400 final season. Though she threw each pitch for Royalton-Hartland this season, Perkins needed to have the ability to play all positions.
St. Bonaventure signed the senior to be a utility participant, so she spent many of the season collaborating in drills to enhance abilities she would by no means use for the Rams. As soon as she took the sphere, Perkins confirmed she was proper: she nonetheless had extra to supply.
Perkins recorded 176 strikeouts in 98 innings whereas hitting .520 with 32 RBIs and 10 homeruns, main Roy-Hart to a Niagara-Orleans League championship and a visit to the Part VI Class B-2 semifinals.
Perkins’ work not solely improved her huge record of abilities, but it surely additionally earned her the title of GNN Sports activities Softball Participant of the 12 months.
“My common was not so good as I needed it to be and there may be all the time room for enchancment,” stated Perkins. “I simply thought that if I stored engaged on it, stored swinging and doing my repetitions, I assumed I may elevate my common a bit and have doubles, triples and homeruns.”
Perkins struck safely in all however two video games this season – each out-of-league video games – and had 10 assists with a number of hits. However her energy stroke improved considerably this spring, as nineteen of her 26 hits went for further bases.
She additionally got here by in essential conditions, going 4 for five with 5 RBIs in an 11-7 win over Akron initially of the season earlier than posting a four-RBI, two-homerun match in a 9-5 win over Wilson later this 12 months .
“It obtained in the way in which in some conditions,” Perkins stated, “like after we had been down and I wanted to get a couple of single or a couple of double. It got here in my favor one way or the other.”
Enhancements additionally got here within the space. Perkins has all the time overwhelmed in teams, and it’s believed that she has the college’s single document for strikeouts with 18, which was set final season.
She couldn’t duplicate the mark this 12 months, however had 12 double-digit crossed matches, together with a 17-strike competitors towards Medina on April 20.
Nonetheless, Perkins needed to be taught the opposite positions and took benefit of getting a coach who has skilled an analogous path. First-year coach Taylor Kneeland was a distinguished pitcher for Roy-Hart from 2010 to 2015 however moved to the outer subject in school, so she may work with Perkins on the best way to make the transition if wanted.
“I had her in all of the workouts, mainly in all of the positions, simply so she may get used to enjoying different positions,” stated Kneeland, who was a two-year senior at Mercyhurst. “Whether or not it was infield or outfield work, she made good performs in every single place. Studying how a lot a drop-step, placing within the glove and operating will help you when a ball is hit over the pinnacle. I actually tried to show her as a result of you can be two, three steps forward. “
A part of her talent comes from genetics, as her father, Gerry Perkins, was a star participant for Roy-Hart within the Nineties and an MLB draft from the Miami Marlins in 1996. She additionally attributes a few of the actions as a soccer goalkeeper, the place she helped Rams to their first part championship in class historical past this fall.
“This talent additionally helps me on the face with side-to-side motion,” Perkins stated. “Velocity and agility in all totally different sports activities have helped me to change into an support in (softball).”
As Perkins now sees her highschool profession prior to now, her stats are flashy and her accomplishments are many. When pressed, it was troublesome for her to search out any missed alternatives or regrets.
Among the many few was to not seize the college’s first part championship. She was a part of three league championship groups, all of which went undefeated in NO, however she by no means gained sections. Roy-Hart suffered losses towards Fredonia every of the final three postseasons and fell to Eden within the 2018 Class B-2 ultimate. Nonetheless, her recollections are robust sufficient to not let the frustration linger.
“I don’t suppose I may have requested for way more from the group and every little thing I’ve achieved,” stated Perkins. “I had many objectives this 12 months and I appeared to have the ability to attain them.”
GNN Sports activities All-Space Softball
• Bailey Briggs, Sr., Starpoint: Briggs was among the finest power-hitters in western New York and posted a 0.562 common with 26 RBIs and 5 homeruns this season. The third baseman recorded successful in 17 of 18 video games and had 13 multi-hit video games for the Spartans. Briggs additionally had eight video games with a number of RBIs, whereas 23 of her 36 hits went for further bases. She hit three triples in a Could 11 sport towards Williamsville East and had two house runs towards Amherst on Could 16. Briggs has signed to play for Rutgers College subsequent 12 months.
• Brianna Delaney, Jr., Lockport: This 12 months’s Niagara Frontier League gamers clubbed the ball all season, hitting .593 with 29 RBIs and 4 homeruns. Of Delaney’s 32 hits, 21 had been off the bottom. The third baseman had a .676 on-base share and a 1,204 slugging share whereas making 28 runs. She additionally had 17 stolen bases. As a pitcher, Delaney went 4-7 with an ERA of two.44 and struck out 103 strokes in 11 appearances. She gave up 25 earned runs on 72 innings and the opponents hit simply 0.153.
• Julia Dumais, Sr., Newfane: Dumais is a implausible contact scorer and struck safely in all 14 matches this season. She greater than doubled her common from final season and hit .688 with 10 RBI. Dumais hit 5 doubles and a pair of homeruns. She had seven video games with a number of hits and had a 0.778 on base share with a 1,218 slug share. As soon as at base, Dumais was profitable on 27 of 29 theft makes an attempt and made 16 runs. As a catcher, she has not registered any errors within the final two years. Dumais is decided to play at Princeton subsequent 12 months.
• Rian Faery, So., Wilson: Primarily based on a robust first-year season, Faery turned one of many Niagara-Orleans League’s greatest all-around hits. Sophomore catcher hit .639 with 38 RBIs and 13 extra-bass hits. She smashed three homeruns, two of which got here after Roy-Hart star Reanna Perkins. Faery had 11 multi-hit and 11 multi-RBI video games on 16 excursions. She had back-to-back 5 RBI matches, together with a efficiency towards Newfane the place she had three doubles and a triple. Faery additionally recorded 21 stolen bases on 22 makes an attempt.
• Julia Kwitchoff, So., Niagara Wheatfield: Kwitchoff turned among the finest all-rounder in western New York this season, as a risk within the circle and on the plate. The Niagara Frontier League pitcher of the 12 months gained 12 video games whereas posting an ERA of two.36. She struck out 136 in 80 innings, averaging 19.4 strikeouts per seven innings. Kwitchoff additionally hit .581 this season, main the NFL with 51 RBIs and clubbing seven homeruns for Niagara Wheatfield, who gained the league championship.
• Elanna Lysiak, Sr., Niagara Wheatfield: Maybe the mannequin for consistency, Lysiak hit .508 for the second season in a row. She drove in 32 runs, considered one of her factors on 33 final season. The primary baseman additionally blew up 5 homeruns for the second 12 months in a row to as soon as once more win the first-team All-NFL honors. Lysiak was additionally harmful as a baserunner, sweeping 24 bases and making 34 runs this season. She was final 12 months’s GNN softball participant and was this 12 months’s volleyball participant through the autumn. Lysiak has signed to play for St. John’s College subsequent 12 months.
• Lilly Monthony, Jr., Barker: The primary baseman took a step into manufacturing this season to provide Barker a giant bat within the lineup. She improved her punching common by 200 factors and scored one other 20 runs, hitting .516 and scoring 31 runs this spring. Monthony had 9 multi-hit matches, together with a five-hit, four-RBI match towards Medina on Could eleventh. Monthony struck his first profession on the school house towards Roy-Hart on Could tenth.
• Izzy Pezdek, Jr., Grand Island: Pezdek appeared within the circle and on the court docket to assist lead Grand Island to the Part VI Class A-2 ultimate this season. She went 10-4 with an ERA of two.04 and struck out 90 strokes on 82 1/3 innings. Pezdek additionally hit .476 and drove in 18 runs. She had back-to-back two-hits, 10-strikeouts towards Niagara Wheatfield and Kenmore East the identical week. Pezdek allowed three earned runs and 10 hits in three begins throughout sections, whereas including three RBIs and a homerun towards Cheektowaga within the semifinals.
• Ava White, So., Niagara Falls: A workhorse within the circle for Niagara Falls, White went 8-7 with 3.38 ERA this season, however logged 105 2/3 innings and struck out 113 strokes. White threw two shutouts this season. White didn’t quit a well-deserved journey in 5 begins and had three double-digit strikeout performances this season. She additionally had a one-hit shutout from Grand Island on April 6. On the plate, White hit .407 and drove for seven runs.
Nick Sabato might be reached by way of e mail at email@example.com or on Twitter @NickSabatoGNN.